Spelunky 2 is meant to be a huge challenge, but many players have felt that the first area is a little too difficult, even compared to later parts. The development team addressed this point in a recent Steam update, and now a new patch has arrived to soften the first area, Dwelling, a bit.
“We know Dwelling is causing players frustration and I think there’s some fair criticism there, so we’re testing some changes to the spawn rates of enemies and traps, particularly in 1-1 and 1-2,” the update reads. “Some tweaks to 1-4 should make it more interesting, as well! Look for those changes to arrive in a patch some time soon.” That patch has now arrived, along with some changes to spawn rates.
Spelunky 2 Patch 1.12.1e is mostly a list of fixes, but two changes stand out if you’re struggling with this first area. In this patch, the developer has “tuned monsters spawn chances in Dwelling” and “added more room variety in the last Dwelling level.” Hopefully this means fewer moles, although it’s worth remembering that you don’t need to kill everything.
Of course, Spelunky 2 is difficult by design, and you’re still likely to struggle: check out GameSpot’s beginner’s guide if you’re struggling.
Here are the complete patch notes for Spelunky 2’s latest update, which contains many changes.
Spelunky 2 Patch Notes: 1.12.1e
- Updated FMOD to address a memory leak
- Fixed stuttering in some HDD setups
- Prevented journal from opening using TAB when the SHIFT key is pressed
- Display non-remappable buttons to the keyboard controls screen as help
- Fixed issue where non damaging visual FX were bigger than damaging ones
- Attacking but not dealing damage will now use a hopefully clearer VFX
- Language switch is no longer saved unless the player applies it
- Prevented the ankh from removing the leader flag, which was causing a crash on moving to the second layer after reviving
- All players in a local coop will now move to the entrance along with the ankh’s revived player
- Low Scorer achievement will now unlock even if the player skips the ending scene
- Challenges will now cancel if the ankh is used
- Players can no longer skip the ending before getting the bonus score
- Fixed coop camera when first player dead and the second player sacrifices himself in the CoG altar
- Fixed issue where the current seed was showing during character selection and other screens
- Fixed leaderboard filter text that was too long on certain languages
- Fixed temple level generation (crush traps should no longer spawn next to pushblocks)
- Tuned monsters spawn chances in Dwelling
- Added more room variety in the last Dwelling level
- Fixed some blocked levels generation in multiple themes
- Fixed crash when finishing the game with a mount
- Fixed entities’ looking direction on being pick-up while webbed
- Fixed movement when leaving a ladder due to monster collision or weapon recoil
- Fixed oversight that made paste bombs attached to corpses not blow up on contact with lava
- Fixed an issue with saves not saving on Proton (checked on arch tkg-5.1.8)
- Minor performance optimizations
- Fixed crash when cavemen equipped jetpacks or capes
- Olmec floaters can no longer be pushed by shields
- Golden scarabs are no longer collected during leaving doors invulnerability frames (helpful for no money achievements)
- Dice tossed against a laser beam will now bounce back with half the force
- Explosive stuff now have some invulnerability frames on creation (prevents rare hoverpacks spawned from mosquitoes from immediately being blown up, for example)
Source: Read Full Article