Multiplayer matches are going to be pretty variable in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. We’ve already seen the new Gunfight mode, which pits players against one another in tight quarters in quick two-on-two matches. And as part of its Modern Warfare multiplayer reveal, Infinity Ward also announced that the game will include huge matches full of tons of players, as well as super-small ones.
Among the new Modern Warfare multiplayer modes is Ground War, a team battle mode that sports some big player counts. As art director Joel Emslie told GameSpot during Infinity Ward’s multiplayer reveal event earlier this week, the game mode can support more than 100 players.
Infinity Ward invited journalists to get hands-on with Modern Warfare’s multiplayer, where we got a chance to try the Ground War mode. The scale was a bit smaller, though, topping out at 20 players on each team. The mode took advantage of Modern Warfare’s new approach to map design, which emphasizes freestanding buildings, climbing, and power positions over the more common three-lane format.
Click To Unmute Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Beta Launches Sept 12 – GS News Update
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare | Going Dark Multiplayer Gameplay
- How Modern Warfare Multiplayer Rebuilds The Franchise Formula
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare – Official Multiplayer Reveal Trailer
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Killstreaks Return, Sparking Controversy – GS News Update
- PS4 Prices Could Go Up As Sales Go Down – GS News Update
- Fortnite – Season X Reveal Story Trailer
- Borderlands 3 Has Officially Gone Gold – GS News Update
- Fortnite Season 10 Adds Rifts, Mechs, And More – GS News Update
- Slay The Spire Tops List Of August Xbox Game Pass Lineup – GS News Update
- PS4 Breaks Sales Record, Top Switch Games Remain The Same – GS News Update
- Smash Bros. Ultimate Dragon Quest DLC Release Date – GS News Update
- Fortnite Teases Time Warping In Season 10 – GS News Update
Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?
Sign up or Sign in now!
Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos. This video has an invalid file format. 00:00:00
Sorry, but you can’t access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video
By clicking ‘enter’, you agree to GameSpot's
When we played Ground War, we found an intense, busy take on Modern Warfare’s multiplayer. The winning team was the one that was able to coordinate its troops, and most importantly, take and hold key areas around the map with well-placed soldiers in high places. With so many players, Killstreaks were going off almost constantly, with UAVs and attack helicopters dotting the sky, while ground vehicles such as tanks crushed infantry fighters into the ground. A lot was going on, but with 20 players, Ground War presented tough competition, but wasn’t necessarily overwhelming. With 100 players or more, though, one wonders just how big maps will need to be to accommodate all the chaos.
While we didn’t see too much of Ground War–or its largest matches–it sounds like there will be more chances to get acquainted with the mode soon. Infinity Ward is offering a Modern Warfare open beta in September. The beta will cover multiple dates, with one beta exclusive to PS4 players and a second one testing crossplay between PS4, Xbox One, and PC players.
Check out our impressions of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s multiplayer, and read more about its open beta and how the game is changing radar and Killstreaks. You can also check out footage of the Modern Warfare’s new night vision goggles in action from our hands-on session.
Source: Read Full Article