Dino Patti thinks that 4K gaming is of little consequence to developers, and is just yet another PC and console upgrade being advertised to help sell hardware. Patti is the co-founder and former CEO of Playdead–the developer behind Limbo and Inside–who left the studio in 2016 and went on to start new companies.
“I think [4K gaming] is useless,” Patti said at Reboot Develop, according to VG247. “It’s something that’s being pushed by tech vendors to push the next console.” Both Microsoft and Sony’s next-gen consoles–Project Scorpio and PS5 respectively–will support 4K and have a max output resolution of 8K.
“[Manufacturers] don’t respect the natural evolution of games and you force technology,” he added. “Microsoft with Kinect, they paid studios to make a lot of s***ty games.”
After leaving Playdead, Patti went on to be the co-founder for both Coherence and Jumpship. Coherence is working to create a cloud-based, open-source development platform. Jumpship is in the midst of developing its first game, Somerville, which tells a science fiction story about the lives of people who survive a global catastrophe. In terms of both tone and graphics, it looks a lot like Limbo and Inside–games that don’t necessarily require 4K graphics to convey their unsettlingly eerie atmosphere.
“I want to select a path by myself and not be drawn in by money from tech vendors,” Patti said. “There’s a lot of people that see something shiny and follow that. You can definitely see all the herd walking one way and falling.”
Back at Playdead, the studio is currently in the midst of developing its third game, which is still unannounced. Playdead has been teasing the project since January 2017, when the studio tweeted an image from the new game. Since then, Playdead has included additional images and concept art in tweets and job postings for the new game–the latter of which have also implied that this third title will take place in a 3D space as opposed to the 2D side-scroller format seen in Limbo and Inside.
Click To Unmute
- Cyberpunk 2077 Has Twice As Much Keanu Reeves – GS News Update
- First Pokemon Sword & Shield Gigantamax Raid Details – GS News Update
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update Adds Terry Bogard & More – GS News Update
- Pokemon Sword And Shield – Overview Trailer
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Terry Bogard DLC Gameplay Release Trailer
- Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — October 20-26, 2019
- Top New Games Releasing On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — October 13-19, 2019
- Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — October 6-12, 2019
- Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Month — October 2019
- Top New Games Releasing On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — September 22-28, 2019
- Top New Game Releases On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — September 15-21, 2019
- Top New Game Releases On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — September 8-14, 2019
Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?
Sign up or Sign in now!
Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos. This video has an invalid file format. 00:00:00
Sorry, but you can’t access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video
By clicking ‘enter’, you agree to GameSpot's
Now Playing: Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Month — November 2019
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Source: Read Full Article